If you are planning to improve the look of your home, you may have to hire an interior designer to help you. Keep in mind that the relationship you will have with the designer can be intimate. This being the case, it is important to consider a number of factors upfront before choosing a designer.
You should know what you want from the interior designer. Like is the case with any person you want to invite in your life, being clear upfront can help to avoid many problems down the road. Here are some tips you should consider before hiring any potential interior designer.
Asses the Style of Work You Prefer
Let’s say you are in Bangalore. Before starting to search for interior designers, carefully consider the type of working you prefer. Taking some time to determine this can help you find the right person. Apart from this, it will lay the foundation that will lead to a successful working relationship. Answering the questions below will help you know the style of working you prefer:
- How long do you expect it will take for the project to be completed?
- Do you know with certainty what you want or are you likely to change your mind when the project has already started?
- Will you want advise or input from the designer?
- Do you prefer to be shown fewer or many options?
- Are you a tactile or visual person? Will you want to feel everything or will the designer showing photos of products be enough for you to know whether they are right for you?
- Are you looking for comprehensive interior design or do you simply want a professional that can help you with design things such as resources, space planning and color?
- At what level would you like to step in and be involved in the product research?
- At what level would you want to be consulted in the creative process? Are you only interested in the big picture issues or would you want to be involved in the nitty-gritty details?
What is the Scope of Your Project?
To some extent, the experience and qualifications that an interior designer will need will be determined by the scope of the project. If you are undertaking a major renovation to an existing space , or are building a new home or addition, you will likely have to work with an architecture. Generally, architects and the best interior designers work hand-in-hand, balancing the aesthetics of the home’s “bones” or structure with the interior furnishings and finishes. You can ask your architect for recommendations of the top interior designers you can hire for your project. The architect may have worked with an interior designer in the past or may know of a good interior design firm.
If you have limited budget for a space that does not need to be changed structurally, or are decorating a single room, it may not be necessary to hire an interior designer. Instead, you can go for a specialist such as a color consultant. The consultant can revamp your space by working on the existing furnishings with new fabric selections or paint color.
Confirm the Credentials
It is also important to confirm the credential of any tradesman you want to hire. For interior designers, things can be a little tricky. For a person to qualify as an architecture, he or she has to undergo years of schooling and pass rigorous licensing requirement. However, the world of interior design has fewer rules. However, this is not to say anyone can be an interior designer. In some states, interior designers have to pass a strict exam administered by the National Council on Interior Design Qualification, before they can be licensed to start practicing.
While all interior designers are concerned with style and aesthetics, experienced and licensed professionals will have comprehensive skills and training in issues such as:
- State and local building codes
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and 3D modeling software
- Space planning
- Flame-spread ratings, toxicity, smoke and fire-rating classifications and materials
If you would like to find out more about accreditation, licensing, and education of interior designers by visit the American Society of Interior Designers website.